PAWLING AVE IS HERE
301 Pawling Avenue, 2016
301 Pawling Avenue, 1982
This new beautiful station will be coming to Hartand in December of 2016.
Hartland Freight Train Depot 1865 - 1982
301 Pawling Avenue
This train station building was used solely for freight when it was functional, and then it sat empty for many years. In 1982, it was purchased by the Hartland Historical Society. The building held a scale/weight platform and an old safe that are now kept in the Hartland Library Historical Room.
Chris Miller and Jim Marriott of Miller Marriott Construction purchased the building from the Historical Society in 2005. The building was completely remodeled and turned into a 5 office building with a conference room and storage area. Miller Marriott's office was held there until 2016, when they decided to build the new Hartland Station Office building.
HARTLAND TRAIN STATION HISTORY DATES BACK TO THE 1800'S.
Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Depot
This is what one of Hartlands original train stations looked like back in 1899. This location is almost identical to where the new Hartland Station Offices are being built. The top picture to the left is a postcard drawing, the bottom is an actual picture from the Hartland History section of the Hartland Public Library.
Built on a stone foundation, the depot incorporated an agent’s quarters, waiting room and freight area. There was a bulls-eye window in each gable end and a bay ticket window on the south facade. Because of the number of prominent resorts in the Lake Country area, the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad decided to build impressive depots between Pewaukee and Oconomowoc. Construction was completed for this Hartland Station in 1899. It was built of split rock with a red-tiled roof, brick sidewalks and spaces set aside for flowers and “Rochester lamps” that greeted passengers as they arrived. The interior was finished with plaster and wainscoting and contained a waiting room to the east, an agent’s quarters in the center and a “smoking room.”
In 1909, Hartland made a bit of history when President William Howard Taft’s train stopped in the Village on July 24th, and the President delivered a speech from the platform of Hartland’s beautiful depot. In fact, trains were so common that one day that year, 65 trains were recorded as having passed through Hartland!
The depot was destroyed by fire in 1916.
The final depot was built in 1917 and exhibited little of the grandeur of its predecessor. It was functional until 1969 when the building was removed when trains ceased to stop in Hartland.